What is the Devonport Cup?
The Devonport Cup holiday holds a special place in the hearts of locals residing in Tasmania. It is a local holiday for the Tasmanians in Devonport, which usually is organised on the first or the second week of January and mainly on a Wednesday. As people from all walks of life gather to witness the equestrian performance sport, the arena fills with the enthusiasm of fans cheering for their favoured horses to breeze through the race course. More than for the sport, people also gamble for monetary gains. Moreover, private groups and business owners host their pavilions with food and champagne for networking.
Furthermore, the sporting event is usually followed by undercover and heated street food parties and other social events.
Where is the Devonport Cup 2023?
The Devonport Cup 2023 edition will be held on January 11, 2023, on the Devonport Synthetic racecourse track. With a distance of 1,880 meters, racehorses and their jockeys are preparing to win fortunes. As per announcements, the race will be held under handicap conditions with prize money worth $100,000. The Devonport Cup 2023 will be a listed race event where fans can place their bets. Betting provisions are available for punters and flutters who want to win an exacta, quinella, trifecta or first four. One is definitely in for a treat if one can predict the winning horse. There are a few categories in which one can claim their wins. These include
- Winner - Where one can correctly predict the first horse that crosses the victory line.
- Exacta - This is where one can predict the first two horses to win in ascending order.
- Quinella - Same as an exacta but with the provision to predict without the exact order.
- Trifecta - Where one can correctly predict the first three horses that cross the finish line.
- First Four - When one predicts the first four horses that finish their laps.
- Place - Where one’s bet finishes the top three.
- Each-way - Dual-bet where one goes for a win-bet and a place-bet.
- Fixed Odds - When one bet on a future event. The odds for the bets keep fluctuating, and it is with the better on when to capitalise.
- Multi - When one bet on multiple predictions.
Devonport Cup 2023, 2024, and 2025
The Devonport Cup 2023 will take place on January 11 in Devonport, Tasmania. The event is considered a public holiday for the locals residing in Devonport municipality.
Previous Year Trends for Devonport Cup
As goes the trend. The Devonport Cup is usually held on a Wednesday in the first or second week of January every year. This is evident from the upcoming dates and the previous year's dates.
|January 11 (Wednesday)
|January 10 (Wednesday)
|January 9 (Wednesday)
|January 8 (Wednesday)
|January 6 (Wednesday)
|January 5 (Wednesday)
Devonport Cup History
Devoncup Racing Club began in the year 1902. Since then, hosting the Devonport Cup has always been a tradition. This has become a local holiday for the Devonport Tasmanians, celebrating the event with the utmost zest. It is a time when people, irrespective of their social status, come together for gathering and networking. The other major celebrated cups include Launceston and Hobart Cups.
How to Live Stream the 2023 Devonport Cup?
There are many platforms for viewing the Devonport Cup other than the live view, for which the tickets are available at the club and a few selected venues. However, if one wants to watch the event live without visiting the club may do so via free-to-air broadcasting channels, pay-per-view TVs, and other streaming platforms.
- Some of the free-to-air broadcasting channels include Channel 7 and Channel 78.
- For pay-per-view platforms, one can resort to Sky Racing 1, Sky Racing 2, and Sky Thoroughbred Central. These platforms will broadcast the event live with extensive coverage.
- Some of the streaming sites include TAB and Sportsbet. One can create an account with these sites and watch the event live.
Those interested in the Devonport Cup 2023 results can tune in to various websites and streaming platforms. Moreover, various news agencies will also cover the event and the Devonport Cup results.
Is the Devonport Cup a Public Holiday?
The Devonport Cup event is considered a public holiday for the locals in Devonport, Tasmania. Other than that, anyone who has got the employer’s nod to avail of a holiday may consider this as a service holiday. It is not to be confused with a national holiday or anything.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Devonport Cup?
Devonport Cup is an event where Devonport Racing Club organises horse racing sports. Various kinds of horse races happen, including harness racing, horse racing, and greyhound racing. Moreover, several groups engage in social gatherings and networking with food and champagne.
Where is the Devonport Cup held?
Devonport Cup is held in the municipality of Devonport, Tasmania. For the 2023 edition, the event will take place at the Devonport Synthetic Racecourse in Tasmania on January 11, 2023.
What is the Distance of the Devonport Cup race?
The primary Devonport cup race, which will be listed, will be held for a distance of 1,880 meters for a prize pool of $100,000.